Over 350 linear feet of records reflect the history of the oldest college in Tennessee, the twenty-eighth oldest college in the nation, and the second oldest coeducational institution affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
The records include the original account books of Rev. Samuel Witherspoon Doak, founder of Tusculum Academy and President of Tusculum College until his death in 1865; and the original College library, the Charles Coffin Collection, which contains 1,400 volumes. Also included are college catalogs, administrative records, college publications, such as yearbooks and newsletters, photographs and various 3-dimensional artifacts. A recently completed Guide to the Tusculum College Archives is available to provide a brief overview of the collection.
The first edition of the “Pion-Ear” from 1935 features a smiling Tusculum College student, suitcase in hand, on his way to nearby Johnson City, TN.
View more images from the Tusculum College Archives here.
Consisting of 1,400 volumes, the Charles Coffin Collection is the original College library. The library was established between 1800 and 1827 at Greeneville College. Greeneville merged with Tusculum College after the Civil War. Charles Coffin was President of Greeneville College from 1810-1827. The oldest book in the collection is dated 1487.
THE PRESIDENT ANDREW JOHNSON COLLECTION
The President Andrew Johnson Collection contains approximately 100 three-dimensional artifacts, ranging from the former President’s top hat and political memorabilia to a copy of Lincoln’s life-mask, a gift to President Johnson. In addition, the collection contains Johnson’s personal library of over 800 volumes and over 500 volumes of books belonging to his children and grandchildren. This collection includes over five linear feet of paper items relating to the former President and his family.
TIMELINE OF TUSCULUM COLLEGE
Tusculum College has a long and fascinating history. A Timeline shows the major events in the College’s history.
|Hezekiah Balch, D.D.||1794-1810|
|Charles Coffin, D.D.||1810-1827|
|James McLin, B.A.||1838-1840|
|Charles Van Vlech||1845-1846|
|William B. Rankin, D.D.||1854-1858|
|Samuel Doak, D.D.||1818-1829|
|Samuel Witherspoon Doak, D.D.||1829-1844|
|Samuel Witherspoon Doak, D.D.||1844-1864|
|William Stephenson Doak, D.D.||1865-1868|
|Greeneville and Tusculum College Merge (G&T)|
|William Stephenson Doak, D.D.||1868-1882|
|Alexander M. Doak (Acting President)||1882-1883|
|Jeremiah Moore, D.D.||1883-1901|
|Samuel A. Coile, D.D.||1901-1907|
|Charles O. Gray, D.D.||1907-1912|
|Washington and Tusculum College (W & T) Merge in 1908. Merger is dissolved in 1912 and the name reverts to Tusculum College.|
|Charles O. Gray, D.D.||1912-1931|
|Charles A. Anderson, D.D.||1931-1942|
|John McSween, D.D.||1942-1944|
|Jere A. Moore (Acting President)||1944-1946|
|George K. Davies, Ph.D.||1946-1950|
|Leslie K. Patton (Acting President)||1950-1951|
|Raymond C. Rankin, D.D.||1951-1965|
|Douglas C. Trout, Ph.D.||1965-1968|
|Charles J. Ping (Acting President)||1968-1969|
|Andrew N. Cothran, Ph.D.||1969-1972|
|Thomas G. Voss, Ph.D.||1972-1978|
|Earl R. Mezoff, Ed.D.||1978-1988|
|Robert E. Knott, Ph.D.||1989-2000|
|Thomas J. Garland (Interim President)||2000|
|Dolphus E. Henry, Ph.D.||2000-2007|
|Angelo Volpe, Ph.D.(Acting President)||2007|
|Edward Kormondy, Ph.D. (Acting President)||2007|
|Russell Nichols, Ph.D. (Interim President)
Nancy Moody, D.S.N
|2007 - 2009